Friday, December 4, 2009

Masters Dance Concert

I attended the 2009 Masters Dance Concert on November 22 at the Frederick Loewe Theatre at 35 W 4th street. It was produced by Susan Koff, and directed by Debora Damast, through the Dance Education Program, Steinhardt.

This event was simply a dance concert consisting of Graduate students in different dance fields. I went primarily because 3 of my peers from my African Dance class were performing, and I wanted to show support for all of their hard work. The dances were all interpretive pieces, incorporating each dancers personal talents 0acting, tap dancing, ballet, jaz, hip hop, etc.).

One particular piece caught my attention. It was a composition of 1 male dancer and several female dancers. Themes that ran through the composition were stereotypes (both male and female), social issues amongst a gender group (girl accusing another girl of trying to start drama amongst people), and peer pressure/gender typed stereotypes (the one make trying to flirt with all of the girls and being rejected repeatedly).

I thought about interpretive dance and how novel the idea might be to students of elementary age. I feel that interpretive dance would be an amazing way for students who enjoy dance to express their beliefs, ideas, and emotions. Poetry is the usual art form to express emotions, but I think exposing students to this form of expression can be a very healthy way for them to learn how to use their bodies in a healthy way to express what they feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment