Sunday, December 6, 2009

Korea Peace Day and DEEP Reportback

On Thursday, Dec ember 3rd I attended an event called Korea Peace Day and DEEP Reportback at NYU for 2 hours. It was a pretty incredible experience as a lot of my classmates have already shared. A professor from NYU gave us a brief overview of the situation in North Korea today. I had no idea that North Korea is the United States’ longest standing enemy. Nor did I know that the Korean War was still going on and no peace treaty has been signed. A veteran talked to us about an organization he is a part of that aims to put an end to the war. What really resonated with me was his explanation of the effects of war on a soldier’s mental health. My uncle, who worked as a doctor in the Vietnam War, unfortunately developed mental health issues because of the horrors he faced abroad. His experience only further supports my beliefs that no good comes from war. There has to be a better, more peaceful way to find solutions to the disagreements that occur between countries, states, and even individuals.

Following the veteran’s speech, three panelists who took a trip to North Korea talked about their experience and answered questions. Their discussion was fascinating. One woman, Sarah, spoke about the surprise she experienced when she realized that the people living were not so different from herself. I believe that this surprise is often faced when people take the time to learn more about others who they feel are so different from themselves. I too have been in this kind of situation and I feel that this concept could easily be brought into the classroom. Everyone, at one point or another, feels that they have nothing in common with another person, culture, or even entire race of people. In the end we’re all human beings who have more similarities than differences, in my opinion.

The event was very enjoyable and I encourage everyone reading this to check out the following website: www.endthekoreanwar.org. Sign the petition and help the U.S. come to a peace treaty with North Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment