Saturday, December 5, 2009

Korea Peace Day

As a Korean-American, I was very interested in attending this PD event because I knew that there were many things I did not know concerning the relations between Korea and the United States, and was more eager to learn than anything.
The night started off with traditional Korean food and moved on to speakers and panelists who spoke on behalf of the poor relations between the two nations. I was amazed at how unaware I could be of a reality that is so cruel. I was most surprised when they were talking about how although the fighting in the Korean war ended in 1953, only an armistice was signed, which was a temporary measure to end the conflict. This means that the Korean War is technically not over and that the fighting is able to resume at anytime, which is why this organization is actively advocating for a peace treaty to be signed. This made me realize how there is such an inconsistency in social studies education and how important it is to teach students the reality of not only this nation's, but this world's history.

1 comment:

  1. This event seems really interesting. I personally do not know much about Korean and U.S. relations either, and it seemed like this event taught you a lot about it. I think it was great that you were able to attend this event and that writing on the blog has not only helped you, but it helped me to learn a little bit more about the relationship between the two countries. I had no idea that only an armistice was signed and that at any point war could resume. I think that Korea Peace Day was a great way to advocate for social justice and attending made you aware of the problem and it gave you the resource to learn more about it. I hope you learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete