Friday, November 20, 2009

India Masala

I attended an event called India Masala.
At this event i was immersed in the Indian culture. The guests ate Indian food, watched Indian dance peformances, and watched an Indian film. At first i thought i was going to feel out of place, but when looking around at all the guests, to my surprise there was a great diversity.

As the dance performances began, it was so much fun. They were energetic and were upbeat. But the most memorable thing about this even was when the second dance performance started,the music came on first. I remember telling my friend sitting next to me, hey this sounds Chinese not Indian. She then turned around and said yea it does, maybe its because its from neighboring countries, they have to have something in common.

At that moment I realized that this was an important thing that i had learned. No matter how different the cultures may seem, all cultures have similarties and this would be a great thing to teach our kids in the classroom. The moral that I learned at this event was despite the differences, there are much more similarites.

No comments:

Post a Comment